Norethisterone is used to mimic the effects of female sex hormones produced naturally by the body. It is a synthetic progestogen hormone, sometimes known as a progestogen-only oral contraceptive or the mini pill. In general this drug is used to treat irregular, painful or heavy periods, endometriosis (a painful condition caused by tissue that usually lines the womb growing outside the womb), and for premenstrual tension (also known as PMS or PMT).
How often do I take it?
Take this medication by mouth usually once a day, with or without food. Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Remember to use it at the same time each day – unless specifically told not to by your doctor. Certain medical conditions may require different dosage instructions as directed by your doctor.
Do I need to avoid anything?
Norethisterone is not known to affect ability to drive or operate machinery. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
Tell your doctor immediately and stop taking norethisterone if you develop any of the following symptoms:
- Swelling of the face, hands or feet, wheezing, difficulty breathing, or an intense itchy skin rash which may be caused by a severe allergic reaction
- Signs and symptoms of a blood clot which may include severe pain or tenderness or swelling in the calf of one or both legs, unexpected chest pain, shortness of breath or coughing up blood, unexpected numbness, tingling, weakness, severe headache, dizziness, fainting, fitting, problems with eyesight or speech or unexpected stomach pain
- Painful or inflamed leg veins
- Migraine or your existing migraine worsens
- A crushing type of chest pain or heaviness in your chest
- Changes in your sense of taste, smell or touch
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of your eyes (this may be a sign of jaundice)
- Swelling or tenderness in the upper part of your tummy
- Persistent headaches
- Recurrence of earlier depression
- Large increase in blood pressure
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.